Reflections from David

David Larson traveled with the second group from SOTV.


Here is some of what I learned, experienced, or was reminded:



1)  I have enough.  (Of everything)

2)  I learned to be thoughtful in how I give.  Give only when others are ready to receive.

3)  Tanzania's "Freedom through Unity" is possible in the real world.  To organize around cooperation, not competition.



4)  I do not need flush toilets, but I like them.

5)  I loved how General Secretary Chavella summed this up:  "We are poor, but we are happy.  You are rich, but you struggle to be happy."  Very wise perspective for those of us dealing with the burden of material possessions that distract us from what is important.




6)  I have difficulty with languages, but lots can be done without language.  Marsha, Randy, and Margo were outstanding role models.

7)  To be 2 weeks off the internet was relaxing and a relief.



8)  Tanzania has beautiful weather, animals, and people.  I loved the beautiful dresses and colorful clothing.

9)  Green grass and rain are tremendous blessings.

10)  I gained a new appreciation for our smooth, easy-to-travel roads.  A few potholes are nothing.

11)  I am reminded that acceptance is a key to a happy life, (Franky, the crippled man from Makifu, the pregnant woman with two malarias, the guy with an open sore since 1979). Just because life is not perfect doesn't  have to dampen hope.  We can't help everybody, but that's OK. Just be love / be with.

12)  2 eggs can mean a lot to some people.

13)  Learn to give without hurting.  How giving too many clothes put the textile plant in Iringa out of business and created unemployment.  The importance of partnership to accurately assess needs and implement solutions.



14)  The greatest joys are in relationships, not things.

15)  There is great exhilaration in honoring people.



16)  Singing and dancing are not only invigorating ways to express joy, but multiply it.

17)  Express gratitude by being happy.



18)  I'm grateful to have had the resources to make this trip.



19)  I will remember the light shining through Petro's face.

20)  Barnabas' response to bridge a solution for the woman who insisted on prayer for exorcising the demon in her tooth:  "OK, I will pray, and then you will take the medicine."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Idodi Secondary School

Safari 2013: the journey of a lifetime

Karibuni sana