Visiting Schools

Traveler Jenny Buckley shared her photos and observations from our school visits on Facebook awhile back.  Thanks for permission to reprint here.


SOTV members visited the Tungamalenga Primary School on a Saturday.  All the standard seven students were camping at the school to continue practicing for the national exam.


Posted in the Headmaster's Office at Idodi Secondary School.  I love it! I find the P interesting--do we ask our students to "Pick what is good from peers" or is that something lost in our individualistic culture?


The Tanzanian flag flies in the middle of the school courtyard.


A typical classroom building.



When the students left this classroom, they took their chairs with them. I am assuming they use the chairs in another class, but I never got a definite answer on this.



The Science Storage room (I think there are few storage rooms here that look like this).


The library. Students come here to check out the books needed for their studies. I was surprised and excited to see the built in areas for lounging and reading.



An English literature textbook....


.....looks a lot like an MCA test.


One of the books found in the literature section of the library. I am assuming that this is a class novel since there are so many copies.


The student cafeteria.


Lunch is cooking...that's ugali on the left.



When we toured the girls' dorm, I asked for a picture of the girls in this room. I loved that all the girls jumped together (just like they would if I was taking their picture for the yearbook).



I plan to show this VERY full backpack to my students!



This young woman had finished her Form 4 exams and yet, took time to work on more homework.


Idodi Secondary School has grown quickly since it opened in 1998, and its students perform very well on Tanzanian national exams.  The school ranks in the top ten percent of all secondary schools.

Thank you to all the Shepherd of the Valley donors who support our Tanzania Scholarship Program!  75 of our 150 students attend Idodi Secondary School.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Idodi Secondary School

Safari 2013: the journey of a lifetime

Karibuni sana