Journey 2015: The Facebook Version, Part 1

We've been home from our journey for a few weeks now, and besides the usual questions (how was your trip? did you see _____?) we've heard two reactions.  From some, "You didn't write very many blog posts this year," and from others, "Wow, it was so cool to see your Facebook posts from village!"

I guess those are not unrelated comments.

For those who missed it, here's the Facebook version of our travel adventures.


June 28 -- Gifts are packed! We're ready to go.


July 1 -- Arrived safe and sound, having breakfast in Dar, getting ready for the long bus ride with good company. Suitcase almost didn't arrive with me, but that's another long story.


July 2 -- So many happy reunions today in Iringa! Spending time with Pastors John and Eva, I enjoyed chapel service at the diocese, met with General Secretary Nayman Chavalla, Pastor L. Msigwa. Ran into Consolata Sanga in the market, and many more. It's a beautiful day.


July 2 -- A lovely day. I visited Ihemi with Pastor John Mhekwa to see the school he is tasked with building. It will be a big job. Dinner tonight with his sweet family. The highlight was little Patricia singing Hallelujah, Hallelujah! You will have to wait for the video!

July 5 -- I have enjoyed three good days in Tungamalenga Parish. Tomorrow starts three days in Makifu Parish. Kicking back this evening with good friends George, John, Frank. Thanks be to God who brings us together.


July 6 -- I had a really great day in Makifu Parish today, visiting Kisilwa and Misufi, meeting with parents of scholarship students and with the partnership committee. Tomorrow, Ikwavila, Mahove,amd Mahuninga. Yes, I have intermet at Tungamalenga Camp! but it is very slow... Safari Njema to the SOTV group leaving tomorrow! See you soon!


July 7 -- I have received so many gifts here in Tanzania, gifts of thanks I receive on behalf of my congregation. Papaya, rice, ground nuts, a dozen cross necklaces, many beaded bracelets, four Maasai dresses, a couple Hehe kitangas, a sheep! The two surprises today: a pair of Maasai sandals so I can walk like a Maasai woman; and from a student who said, "I have nothing to give you to thank you for the scholarship, but I give you this so you will remember me." And she fastened a safety pin to the lapel of my denim jacket. Won't be taking that off any time soon. How could I forget anyone here? 


July 8 -- Makifu Parish has been extraordinarily generous --I've received gifts of thanks for scholarships, that will be shared with the orphans at Huruma Center in Iringa. A couple hundred kgs of rice, a hundred kgs of maize, some ground nuts, sugar cane, and a chicken. The kids will eat well! (Hope I can fit it all in the back of the Land Cruiser!) [this photo only shows half of what we were given!]


July 9 -- Remember these eyes? My namesake from Mahove village. This year, she smiles!



July 10 -- Good morning! We're ready for a great day in Iringa, Tanzania!




July 10 -- Spent today in Iringa: overview of Bega Kwa Bega partnerships at the diocese head office, a meeting to plan the eventual upgrade of Tungamalenga clinic to a health center; exploring the market; purchased medicines and mosquito nets for the clinic, school supplies and four bikes; visited the orphanage, delivering food gifted by Makifu Parish; a joyful dinner at Mama Iringa's (the Italian restaurant extraordinaire). A very good day with very good companions.


    A fun afternoon with the children of Huruma Center!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Idodi Secondary School

Safari 2013: the journey of a lifetime

Karibuni sana