Why Travel?

Judy and Happy trade scarves, 2012

by Judy Anderson

Bega Kwa Bega, shoulder-to-shoulder, side-by-side, I have made three journeys to Tanzania with members of Shepherd of the Valley. The first time we were a group of 3 women, the second time a mixed group of 14, and this third time a group of 2 men and 3 women. The constant in each trip was our lead member Kirsten Levorson, traveling for the 13th time this summer of 2016.
Why travel there; why go more than once? 

dedication of the Mahove water project, 2012
My first trip I was called to be part of a water project, called by God and the memories of my Mother and how she had carried water. The second trip was a need inside me to go back and see again the people we had met and how the water project had improved the community it was built for. The third trip was so very unplanned on my part. A presentation of the travelers from 2015 was given at church and there I met Geri Anglin.  She said she would love to go on a visit. I said if she ever needed a roommate I would be happy to go again. These words just fell off my tongue with no thought to what I was saying. Geri asked, would I really go? I said I would have to go home and discuss that question. My spouse had no objections; he knew how much I had enjoyed going before.

at Namelok, 2014
What prompted me to say so quickly that I would go again? Perhaps there was unfinished learning on my part. Perhaps I was not yet done with the need to see and be an active walker on the paths the people of our sister congregations walk each day. So I got my updated vaccinations, took new pictures for my visa, and packed my bags. It was to be a marvelous time and I would learn from unexpected sources.

Amon, Meritho, Geri, and Pastor Paulo at Mahove, 2016
We travel to Tanzania and hope to learn from the people that we meet there. I had not really given thought to how much we learn from those we travel with. At each village chapel that we visit we introduce ourselves and if we are a small group we can say a bit more than our name. On this trip I watched my new friend Geri gain the self-confidence when in a new place to share who she is. This woman can tell you about her faith in just a few short sentences. It made me listen more closely to what was being said, and what I too could share of my faith. I still have much to learn.

Ken, 2014
I watched and listened as Ken, who was on his second trip, shared his study of and desire to learn the Swahili language. He was always asking and learning new words as we met with friends from the the previous visit he made.  Using the words he learned and adding to his vocabulary each day.

Dean and Evangelist Yohanna, 2016
Dean, the other man in our group joined us from his home in Maryland. His surprise and joy at what he saw, heard, and participated in was also a learning for me. How great it is to see others find out what Bega-Kwa-Bega really means by actively doing the walking shoulder-to-shoulder.
Why was I there for a third time? I was there to witness God’s love and learn from it. We are never to old or to young to be touched by the love others find in their relationship with God our Savior.

Judy and Geri, 2016

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Idodi Secondary School

Safari 2013: the journey of a lifetime

Karibuni sana