2018 Travelers

Counting down to departure on Monday afternoon, I asked the travelers to tell us a bit about themselves and what they look forward to on the journey.  Here's what they said.


Tell us about yourself.
 My name is Wendy Steger. I am a wife and mother of three children. Anna, who is traveling with me, is my youngest. I am one of the pastors at Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church. I have been at Shepherd of the Valley for 2.5 years, and ordained as pastor almost 1.5 years. My family and I were members at SOTV from 2002 to 2007, before we left to help launch Light of the World Lutheran in Farmington.

What called you to this journey? 
This kind of journey has been on my bucket list for a very long time. I remember Pastor Bonnie at SOTV preaching about her trip to Tanzania many years ago, and I have been wanting to go “someday” ever since then. When I had an opportunity to travel as a representative of SOTV staff, I was thrilled.

What about this trip excites you? What are you looking forward to? 
I am really looking forward to meeting new people and learning about their way of life and especially their vibrant Christian faith. The Lutheran Church in Tanzania is growing rapidly, and I hope to learn some of what is being that vibrancy. I am also looking forward to traveling with my daughter and experiencing Tanzania through her eyes.

What about this trip worries you? 
I am worried about being away from the rest of my family for so long. I will really miss them! I am also worried about missing the “comforts” of home.

What do you hope to bring home with you on this journey? 
I hope to have a renewed appreciation for the luxuries we take for granted back home. I also hope to expand my view of Christianity and see how others worship and experience Christ in other places. I am also looking forward to learning lessons about life in community.



Tell us about yourself.
My name is Anna Steger. I am 14 years old and going into 9th grade at Eastview High School. I play volleyball and hope to play on the 9th grade high school team this year. I have an older brother named Ryan and an older sister named Ali.

What called you to this journey? 
My mom is traveling and asked me if I wanted to go. I thought it would be a good experience to do.

What about this trip excites you? What are you looking forward to? 
I am excited to meet new people and learn what it is like to live across the world in a different country that doesn’t have all the luxuries we have in the United States. I am also looking forward to seeing animals on safari.

What about this trip worries you? 
Nothing. I am really looking forward to everything.

What do you hope to bring home with on this journey? 
I think that I will think of things differently and appreciate what we have here.


Tell us about yourself.
I'm Kirsten. This will be my 16th trip to Tanzania since 2002. I'm deeply grateful for all that this partnership has brought to my life - relationships as deep as family, an opportunity to support and learn from the Tanzanian church, an appreciation for the global Christian community. In Minnesota, I'm a wife, mother to four grown children, piano teacher, church musician, and volunteer for several organizations.  In Tanzania, I get to focus my attention on just one thing - where is God leading our partnership next?

What called you to this journey?
I never imagined this would be my 'thing.' When I first traveled to Tanzania in 2002, it was by the grace of God. I wasn't in a position at the time to afford the travel, and one friend handed me an envelope with a significant amount of money. I wasn't in a position to be away from my young children for 2 weeks, and another friend offered child care. My husband said, "go." I'm grateful for all the nudges and the support, because on that journey I found a calling. God called me through the people I met and the glimpse of what we could do together to make a difference for so many people. 

What about this trip excites you? What are you looking forward to? 
First, the reunions.  Seeing dear ones again, catching up on their lives, knowing they've made it through another year. Thanking them for their prayers for my family and my church this past year. Grieving and giving condolences to the families who have lost loved ones this past year. Meeting the students we sponsor, and hearing their hopes and dreams for the future. Seeing the projects planned that are now coming to fruition.  Making new plans, and hoping for the future.  Specifically, this year I want to see Mpalapande Primary School and observe a morning of classes. I want to walk the Mahove pipeline and see that it is still in good repair six years later.  I want to sit with the people of Ikwavila and Mpalapande and make final plans for their water projects that will be undertaken in October. I want to know the people of Usolanga better. I want to talk about who might travel to Minnesota to visit SOTV this coming year.

What about this trip worries you? 
I'd like to think I've stopped worrying. Things happen, and we are well cared for by our friends. I'm a little worried about getting the telescope through TSA checks (we're carrying on the most fragile part) and I'm a little worried about the weight limits for our in country flight from Dar to Iringa (we pre-purchased extra weight, we'll be okay). I worry a little about the family left at home - a month is a long time - but know they've handled things before and all will be well. 

What do you hope to bring home with you on this journey? 
I want to come home knowing that we have had the conversations, made the plans, set the goals, and done the work that will get our partnership through another year until the next visit. I want to come home with stories and pictures that will make people at Shepherd of the Valley feel like they were almost there with us, stories that will help them feel part of this partnership, stories that will cement their support for the many things we do together. 

Watch this space and our Facebook page for updates and stories over the next month!

Asante,
Kirsten

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Idodi Secondary School

Safari 2013: the journey of a lifetime

Karibuni sana