Greetings

Habari, Kamwene, How are you? One of the small but telling details about Tanzanian culture is the attention and care that is given to greeting people. Sometimes I am walking about with my Tanzanian friends and I watch them greet so many people they pass and find out only later that they barely know the person. But each person they pass or meet is greeted with the same respect and warmth.

It's an interesting contrast to our american culture that teaches its children not to speak to strangers, and that emphasizes moving forward to the goal rather than enjoying the journey. Think about the time I spend in the grocery store at home. I'm focused on my list, on getting in and out in as short a time as I can. I don't stop for conversation with other shoppers. Yet here in the market we all stop for 'how are you' and to exchange a word or two or three.

When I was at Idodi Secondary School last week, I had a young woman walk me across campus a couple times. She would hold my hand to guide me toward the cleanest path, and she would introduce me to people as we walked. If we passed someone and I forgot to say 'habari' she would tug my hand and gently remind me: 'you greet them.'

Thanks for that, sister. Her name was Happy Nyaulile.

Greetings to all of you who are reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Idodi Secondary School

Safari 2013: the journey of a lifetime

Karibuni sana