Less is more!

After two eight hour plane rides, an eleven hour bus ride, and a time change that puts you in a zombie-like state, we are finally here! Immediately upon our arrival in Africa, many things came to my attention. But the most significant thing that I have seen in the few days since our arrival is the quality of life that the men and women of this country seem to have. Although many Americans attempt to quantify quality of life with money earned or job positions held, our brothers and sisters in Africa have a different measuring system for their happiness (And no, it's not the metric system!).

Poverty in Africa is widespread and very sad to see. It's easy to imagine how many Africans live from the comfort from our homes in America. But in order to fully grasp the life that these men and women live, I believe a firsthand experience is necessary. Driving through downtown Dar es Salaam yesterday could be very painful at times to see how the other half lives. Many families live on a day to day basis, trying to simply acquire enough money from the goods they sell to make it to the next day. I couldn't tell you how many times I saw a struggling family on the side of the road look at me with a sense of desperation hoping I could be the one to save them from the clutches of the world in which they live.

With that being said, our brothers and sisters in Africa are among the happiest people I have ever seen in my life. From the moment we stepped off the bus in Iringa, we were barraged by our jovial African hosts from Tungamalenga. It was truly an awesome feeling to be loved and respected by our hosts before we were even introduced to them. For some reason that I am hoping to discover in the coming days, these people living admist choas and despair simply enjoy every minute of their life on this planet. During dinner, the jokes never stop and the smiles never seem to fade. The happiness here is simply contagious. For people with so little in physical things, they sure seem to have so much more to offer in every other way!

As my time for blogging at the internet cafe is winding down, I must make one guess as to a central cause for the happiness of these people. I have noticed that our brothers and sisters in Christ make faith the primary focus in their life, and rightfully so. It seems like everything they do is with the goal and aspiration of pleasing God. Maybe their lack of tangible possesions gives them a clearer mindset and a better focus on the thing that truly matters, their faith. Either way, the mindset in Africa seems to be simply, in the glory of God. Even I am plenty guilty of straying from my faith and thinking of myself before my obligation to God. I think many Americans can agree. With that being said, maybe the correct formula to a truly happy life lies in the simplicity of the things we have and the things we choose to do. Less truly is more!

I hope to see my hypothesis proven correct in the following days!

-Stephen Sawyer

Comments

  1. What a treat it is to read your impressions while you are there! Great post, Stephen ... I look forward to hearing more insights upon your return. I continue to pray for you all, and follow along with the devotions. Safari njema.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sharing . . . may the rest of your time be just as soul stirring. Prayers go with you all from Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Idodi Secondary School

Safari 2013: the journey of a lifetime

Karibuni sana