Facing our fears



Sharon, Judy, Kirsten

We're down to about twelve days to departure and dealing with the nitty gritty.  What to pack, what to leave behind, what to plan, what to prepare, what to leave to God.

One of our travelers said today, I'm a seasoned traveler, I went to Israel and wasn't afraid of the bombings, I went to Europe and wasn't afraid, but for some reason, this trip makes me pause and catch my breath.  She went on to talk about her awareness that she wasn't going as a tourist, this wasn't going to be a vacation, and that she understood she will be representing our congregation and even our Saint Paul Area Synod when she travels to Tanzania in a few weeks.  She said she is very aware that there are agreements in place and that this partnership has a history, and that she doesn't want to do or say 'the wrong thing' during her visit.

Travelers with exactly that sense of caution are a blessing to this partnership.

To have the awareness that we travel as part of something larger than ourselves is a healthy caution. To see ourselves as ambassadors for our whole congregation and even our synod is a way to keep us mindful and humble.  To recognize the vast differences in culture and custom is a way to stay respectful to our hosts.

We face a lot of fears when we travel to Tanzania -- so far from home, and there will be days between contact with our loved ones, and there will be such differences in the daily comforts we take for granted. 

Some of our fears turn out to be silly and superficial -- what will my hair look like without a blow dryer and curling iron?  will I be comfortable wearing dresses rather than pants or shorts?

Some of our fears are perfectly normal -- will they like me? will I say the right or wrong things?  can I keep the pace? what if I get sick?  what if my family at home gets sick?

And all of our fears receive an answer in love and grace.  Our hosts welcome us and care for us. Our cultural faux pas are covered in grace and understanding.  God is with us every step of the journey.

For you will go out with joy And be led forth with peace; The mountains and the hills will break forth into shouts of joy before you, And all the trees of the field will clap their hands. Isaiah 55:12



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Idodi Secondary School

Safari 2013: the journey of a lifetime

Karibuni sana